The elephant rescue mission in Thailand has resulted in a growing interest in ethical elephant sanctuaries in Thailand especially ethical elephant sanctuaries in Phuket, to stop unethical practices such as using elephants for entertainment and laborious tasks. With more and more visitors coming to Thailand to see these beautiful innocent creatures, separating an unethical elephant sanctuary from an unethical one is important.
We recently compiled a list of ethical elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai, but for this article, we are taking you to the southern coast of Phuket where it is also home to retired elephants saved from various circuses and logging sites.
At these elephant sanctuaries in Phuket, you will not find elephant trekking, elephant shows, or any elephant-abusing activities, instead, visitors will get to spectate the elephants as they live harmoniously in the wild, feed the elephants, and give them mud baths. If you are interested in visiting these lovely creatures and contributing to the sustainability of the parks, read on to discover the many ethical elephant sanctuaries in Phuket.
Locating next to Khlong Kata reservoir, the Bukit Elephant Park is rich in greeneries and water sources in ponds and streams that elephants can bathe in whenever they desire accompanied by grassy fields and big luscious trees in a wide stretch of land, giving the elephants a chance to mingle like they would in their natural habitat.
- Vast natural park with various greeneries for elephants to roam
- A panoramic view of Klong Kata reservoir while observing elephants in their natural habitat
- Experience harmoniously living with elephants in an animal-friendly manner
- The park does not offer elephant rides or bathing activity
- Rubber tapping activity
- Making coconut milk and a brief cooking session of Thai food.
Location: Cha-long sub-district, Phuket, Thailand
Locating close to Surin beach, the Green Elephant Sanctuary Park Phuket operates under European Elephant Protection Laws where there is infrastructure built to accompany the innocent giants in their afternoon naps when it gets hot.
- Rich authentic Thai buffet
- Elephants feeding to both adult and baby elephants
- Mud spa with elephants
- Rain shower-like spray under an XXL elephant shower
- Washing elephants in big fresh-water pools
Location: Thalang, Phuket, Thailand
The Elephant Care Camp is the only one in Phuket with a private beach where you can walk with the elephants to the waterfront and swim with them and bathe them in the sea. The elephant sanctuary is conveniently located close to Phuket town.
- Meet with elephants at the sanctuary that are intelligent and friendly.
- Swim with elephants in the sea, is the only ethical experience in Phuket with no riding.
- Enjoy a delicious Thai buffet
Location: Mueang Phuket, Phuket Thailand
For more details and to book a tour at the Elephant Care Camp at Siray Phuket
Through its elephants' rescue mission, the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary organization has set up camps in many provinces across Thailand, like Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Samui, and Chiang Mai. The Elephant Jungle Sanctuary in Phuket offers visitors to Thailand's coast a glimpse into how the retired elephants in Thailand are rescued and given a new home as well as a fantastic view of the beaches.
- Learning about the history of elephants at the elephant sanctuary in Phuket
- Engage in preparing medicine for the elephants
- Learn about elephant physical examination
- Feeding and showering with elephants
- Enjoying Thai traditional food
Location: There are 3 branches of Elephant Jungle Sanctuary: Kathu, Thalang, and Bangtao branches where your visited location is largely determined by your accommodation's proximity to the closest branch.
For more details book a ticket for a day tour to Elephant Jungle Sanctuary Phuket
Another must-visited elephant sanctuary in Phuket is the Phuket elephant nature reserve. Locating in the lush jungle, visiting the Phuket elephant nature reserve allows you to see scenic landscapes of the beach and jungle while getting the chance to interact with rescued elephants at the sanctuary through feeding, and jungle walking with the elephants to view the beautiful lush forest.
- Free roaming and foraging elephants
- No riding, chaining, and bathing of elephants
- Educating on elephant welfare
- Preparing elephant herbal medicine
- Environmental Conservation Practices with Elephant Dung Recycling
- Complimentary Thai cooking demonstration
Location: Thalang, Phuket, Thailand
For more details or book a ticket for a day tour to Phuket Elephant Nature Reserve
Similar in name, the Phuket elephant sanctuary is another sanctuary that is worth visiting especially if visitors are looking for 100% hand-off activities. Endorsed by National Geographic and World Animal Protection, the Phuket Elephant Sanctuary's mission is to give Thai elephants that have undergone abuse a chance at life in a natural environment free from humans mingling.
- First ethical elephant sanctuary in Phuket
- 100% hand-off activities
- Short and non-intrusive feeding
- Thailand’s longest canopy walkway to observe the elephants roam, forage, and bath
- Vegan/vegetarian Thai buffet to relax on their Tree Top Reception
- Volunteer Program
Location: Paklok, Thalang, Phuket Thailand
Phuket Elephant Care Sanctuary is another elephant sanctuary that offers elephants a big space to roam around with many activities for visitors to be able to participate with these gentle giants.
- English, Cantonese, and German-speaking guide
- There are 3 camps that visitors can visit based on where their accommodation is.
- Free towel service for borrowing.
- Elephants feeding and making nutritional food ball
- Giving the elephants a mud bath and cleaning them up in a big pond.
- Enjoying home-cooked traditional Thai food
Locations: Thalang and Kathu, Thailand
For more details or book a ticket for a day tour of Phuket Elephant Care
The Tonsai Elephant Care Camp is a family-owned elephant sanctuary in Phuket where you are welcomed by the owners into a sanctuary that is not as crowded. On a good day, you might even find yourself on a private day tour to the elephant camp where you get to interact with the elephants aged 4-70 years old each with their adorable personality.
- It is one of the few sanctuaries in Phuket that allows elephants to roam around
- Family-run sanctuary that cares for elephants' well-being
- Pad Thai cooking class at the camp (for specific package)
- 1 km walk to Patong beach
Location: Patong, Phuket Thailand
For more details or book a ticket for a day tour of Tonsai Elephant Care Camp Phuket
Another elephant sanctuary in Phuket is the Elephant Wildlife Sanctuary in Phuket where visitors get to witness elephants being taken care of with the utmost love by staff. The elephants are lovely and respond excitedly to visitors.
- The sanctuary emphasizes the mental and physical well-being of elephants
- Feeding and bathing activity
- Giving elephants a mud spa
- Take part in an aromatic oil massage for elephants
Location: Choeng Thale, Thalang, Phuket Thailand
For more details or book a ticket for a day tour of Elephant Wildlife Sanctuary Phuket